4/15/2009

Paramedic Mandatory Meeting

Today I went to the mandatory meeting about paramedic school. I showed up 25 minutes early and was told that I was at the wrong building but that they could set up a Video Conferencing relay for me so I did not have to make the hour drive and miss the meeting.

So they set me up in a quiet room with a note pad and a pen staring at a tv screen of an empty room. Not a good sign when the meeting was supposed to have started 5 minutes ago. Then the teacher and my fellow classmates showed up and we got down to business it was slightly awkward but not too bad.

Then a woman came into my room to give me the papers that I was supposed to be filling out. She chatted with the people on the tv for awhile and then left.

5 minutes later there was a man outside my door signing.
He signed "need interpreter?".
I signed "No".
He signed " Deaf?”.
I signed “No hearing”.

Yes folks that is right apparently if you accidentally sign while you are talking you get an interpreter! It made me happy because they were trying to make sure that I knew what was going on and being helpful.

I also found it hilarious that at the meeting for a profession in which you cannot be deaf I was asked if I was deaf.

2 comments:

  1. Actually Freckles, I know a deaf EMT...

    Good luck in paramedic school, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is news to me. They handed me a piece of paper that said I had to be able to lift 75 lbs and see to read medication labels and hear faint sounds. And they said I could not be in the program if I could not. That is awesome for that person though.

    ReplyDelete